mouseover any illustration tagged "sketches" to see the original drawing

4/06/2007

Sidewalk Cat


Once I had some oil pastels. I experimented with them a bit, but never grew to like them. So when my toddler wanted to use "mommy's crayons" instead of giving her my nice soft pastels, I let her use the oil ones. They make much richer, brighter, bolder colors on concrete than regular sidewalk chalks. I didn't give them to her very often, since the colors plastered her hands as well, and I got concerned about toxic hazards. But her scrawls lasted on the patio and sidewalks outside our Petaluma apartment for many weeks until rain melted them. Even then you could still make out something. Here's a cat I drew for her at the top of some steps once. Oil pastel on concrete, a few feet in dimensions.

No comments: