I have recently added a new feature- mouseover any illustration tagged "sketches" to see the original

4/18/2013

saguaros

I am trying to catch up by posting something from the desert trip every day. I'd never visited an actual desert before, and the landscape in Arizona was unlike anything I've ever experienced before. The plant life in particular felt very alien. Most singular were the Saguaro cacti. I sketched quite a few of them.
A bird perched on one (I think it is a Gila Woodpecker).
Quite a few had curving arms and we amused ourselves imitating and anthropomorphizing their gestures. I learned that these curvy arms are caused by frosts, which kill the plant tissue so the arm will collapse. I suppose if the cold doesn't kill the entire cactus outright, it will start to grow upwards again in the proper temperature range, and thus create the curve.
This funny one we thought looked as if it had rabbit ears.

No comments: