mouseover any illustration tagged "sketches" to see the original drawing

10/05/2006

Penguin Diver 4


I can never get the colors to look quite right on the screen.
There is much more richness and variety than you can see here.

Work goes a little slower now, but I feel it is nearly done. I've made her legs fade back with more green and muted tones on them, and pulled out the hair with highlights. Oh, and my husband pointed out that the smallest penguin's tail was too long, so it got chopped. It's nice to have an extra pair of eyes in the house! Then there's the fish fading into the background like something you keep forgetting about. It needs a few more fish in the composition, especially the bottom left corner, and there's one clump of her hair that's odd but for the most part I am pleased.

All today I was feeling unhappy about the painting, kept walking away and looking back at it, then making little changes. I thought I was going to have to leave it be for a day or two but then things started falling into place. Content enough now to let it alone for a night, and follow my daughter into dreamland. I just hope I don't dream of fish. I've been painting their faces half the day!

No comments: