mouseover any illustration tagged "sketches" to see the original drawing

1/16/2007

Folds


At some point early in the learning process, an art student must learn to depict form, the illusion of shape on a two-dimensional surface. That means drawing many boxes, spheres, cylinders and other basic shapes under a bright light, sitting in the half gloom bent over your paper. After getting a general grasp on contour, edges, reflected light, core shadows, reflected cast shadows, highlights, etc. more complex forms are introduced. Like folds. For some reason I always worked away at my folds until they were larger than life, with more volume and presence than the meek drapery sitting in front of us. I don't know why. Maybe I was trying to so hard to get the illusion of real dimensions on my paper that I over exaggerated every turn of the form.

Charcoal pencil on paper.

No comments: