mouseover any illustration tagged "sketches" to see the original drawing

11/20/2006

Still Life with Books



My current oil painting is going very slow. Mother Nature gets only a few details added a day, since I am busy facing an impending move, figuring out what to do for the holidays, and of course living life with a two-year-old. Her big thing right now is puzzles, so I spend a lot of time on the floor putting pieces in for her!

Well, until M. Nature looks different enough to show her face to the world again, here's something else! This oil painting of heavy books was the last piece I did for a school class. It features my desk lamp, an old mug I bought from a thrift store and kept pencils in, my unabridged dictionary (pale cream) and the largest textbook I ever had to buy for school: History of Art. In the spotlight is a small horse figurine that I picked up in an antique shop one time. I was really taken by his character.

I am really sad that I can't find him since our last move. I am pretty sure I packed him away somewhere carefully, but he's not to be found now. I really hope I didn't loose him. I don't know what kind of metal he's made of, but it's quite soft. Originally he was standing on a thick rectangular base, but I felt I had to free him of that and whittled it off with a pocketknife while I was visiting my best friend Rachel. I remember her making a comment about how that was a gesture of the artist in me: if something wasn't quite right aesthetically, I had to change it! Well, I did feel much better to see him free-standing.

I'm going to look for the sketches I did of him, since the details here are a bit blurry. I'm not quite sure which sketchbook they're in though, so it may take me a little while.


Here's a detail shot of the pattern on the mug.

No comments: