mouseover any illustration tagged "sketches" to see the original drawing

10/29/2006

Ghost Dog


Ghost Dog Pastel on paper, 24 x 19"

I thought I'd post this painting here to explain how it came about. Last year around this time I was searching for a new subject to paint in pastels, which I had just started using. There's this photo I took

of my sister's dog that I always found fascianting because of the eyes. One was in light, the other shadow, and the difference in the dilation of the pupils is dramatic. I realize now looking at my painting again that I made the dog's head too large, but I think I was just really trying to get into those eyes.


When I was younger, before we got this dog, someone down around the block had a weimaraner. I used to walk by their yard often, along a trail. The gray dog with the pale eyes was so striking. We called them ghost dogs. In keeping with the season, I painted this just before halloween in 2005. My intent was to make it look all dark, like the dog was lying at the bottom of a shadowy area or well, looking up at you with her blue ghost eyes. Most weimaraners' eyes turn yellow as they mature, but this one kept her baby blues.

View a black and white portrait I drew of this dog here.

No comments: