mouseover any illustration tagged "sketches" to see the original drawing

10/10/2006

Life Sketches

It's been a while since I've sketched from life. Today I picked up a nearly-empty sketchbook and sat down with probably the most difficult subject I could choose: my two year old. Here's the result. It was quite trying because she won't sit still of course, but kept wanted to see, or draw on my picture, or climb into my lap. I got the initial gesture down quickly at first, then kept watching her waiting for the angle to match my drawing to get her chin right, or the shape of her eyes. Still, it doesn't quite look like her. I'd probably get a better likeness from a photograph, but it would also be more stiff. I prefer drawing from life, even though it's not as technically accurate for me... The stuffed elephant of course, was easier because he sat still!



This one I did a while back. It came out a little better since I sketched it while she was sleeping. She was fifteen months old, napping in her striped leg warmers and socks.

By the way, Penguin Diver is finished. You can view it here.

No comments: